As products, adhesive labels are extremely recognizable and are commonly used by industrial and commercial customers. There are a variety of adhesive labels available, allowing a customer to choose the right type of label for an application.
Types of Adhesive Labels
Two common label types known to customers are permanent and removable labels. However, there are 4 other types provided by label manufacturers:
- Freezer or Frost fix
- High tack
Frost fix labels are designed for use in cold environments. The adhesive prevents the label from peeling off due to the extreme temperature. High tack labels comprise a strong type of adhesive that allows the label to be stuck onto rough, uneven surfaces. Peelable labels are the general type of removable labels. They can be easily peeled off when not required, and can be reused two to three times without losing their stickiness. Ultra-peelable are designed for applications where no adhesive residue should be seen.
After reading the previous paragraph, you would realize that there isn’t one common set of adhesive labels that meet the requirements of every application. Also, simply understanding the types of labels is not sufficient to select a label. There are other factors that need to be considered.
Important Factors for Choosing Adhesive Labels
An understanding of the following points can help you to make an informed decision when selecting a label for an application.
- Know your Application Requirements: The adhesive of each label is developed to achieve a particular task for an application. This also makes a difference to the price of the label. Having a clear idea about the application requirements can help you to choose the right label. For example, if you are choosing a label for a packaging application, you would need to ensure that the adhesive will perform well in different environments, and that the label will be aesthetically appealing to the customer.
- Understand the Application Surface: The performance of an adhesive is directly connected to the surface on which it will be stuck. The type of adhesive label used will depend on a variety of surface factors:
- Is the surface smooth, curved, or rough?
- What are the properties of the surface material?
- What will the relationship of the surface energy be with the adhesive?
- Can the Label be Repositioned? The removability and permanence of the label makes a big difference to the application. If the application requires a removable label, the adhesive should be such that the label can be repositioned, and it won’t leave any residue on the component.
- Decide on the Label’s Look and Feel: Aesthetic appeal of a label also makes a huge difference in an application. The size, color, shape, and material of the label can add to the overall look of the product.
- Cost-effectiveness: The price of the label should be in accordance with the various features of the label as well as its performance and longevity. Make sure that you are getting value for your money.
By taking all these factors into consideration, you can carefully select the best label for your application.