There is a wide range of labels used on a variety of products. Each type of label has a role to play. When you buy any product, you can see a label on it. If you have been to a departmental store to buy various food items, then you must have noticed the different labels on them. If not, then it is highly recommended that you read these labels while buying these products. Some people prefer ignoring the labels and go on to buy the product. However, this is not at all good. Why? Well, there are a number of reasons for this. Read the following post to know the importance of reading food labels on the various products in a store.
Why are Reading Food Labels so Important? How does it Help?
It is good to be attentive. Reading the labels on the different food items can help you in many ways. The following are some ways in which reading these labels can help you:
1. Gives You Important Information – The label on a food item gives you a lot of useful information about the ingredients of the food contained. In addition to this, information about saturated fats, calories, proteins, carbohydrates, total fats, and vitamins contained in per serving is given on the label. Reading this information given on the product can help you in continuing with your diet plan. Also, by understanding the ingredients of the food product, you can decide whether to include or exclude the food item in your meal, if you are following a specific diet plan.
2. Helps You in Calculating the Sugar and Salt Content – Are you following a diet, which asks you to cut down sugar, and reduces the amount of salt consumed? Then the information given on the nutrition labels will educate you about the amount of salt and sugar contained in the product. This will help you calculate, and decide whether the product is good for your current diet or not. This will help you in cutting down the intake of these not so healthy ingredients, which in turn will help you in achieving your goal.
3. Allows You to Improve the Diet – Let’s say that the product you are buying has all the necessary nutrients. However, do you know the amounts in which they are present in the product? Anything in excess of dearth is bad for your health. Therefore, it is always recommended to have all the necessary nutrients in the right amounts. Some manufacturers add colors, which give a healthier look to items like brown bread. This is not good for health, and you can avoid it by reading the labels.
For more information check the importance of Reading Food Labels Before purchasing a packaged food item.
What You Should Read on the Food Labels?
Here is a quick list of things you should read on a food label:
- List of ingredients
- Amounts of nutrients
- Net weight and serving size
- Presence of health-sensitive ingredients
- Energy density of the food (Ratio of calories to the weight of the product)
These were the different ways, and also the reasons, which explain why reading a food label is a good habit. There are a huge number of companies, which manufacture a wide variety of labels for the food industry. Performance Label Company is one of the manufacturers of labels for the food industry.
Related Blog Posts:
- Mandatory Information to Be Printed on Food Labels: Part 1
- Mandatory Information to Be Printed on Food Labels: Part 2